TOP TEN


TOP TEN


  1. Guns

  2. Industrial Machines

  3. Blades

  4. Rust/Corrosion

  5. Airframes

  6. Tires

  7. Fan Blades

  8. Insects

  9. Cabling/Cordage/Wires

  10. Food


So it was pretty easy for me to narrow my ideas down to 10. Some I really wasn't sure where I would take the photos conceptually (not that I would really let that stop me.) Some things I could fold into other topics and overlap them. Some were just too specific.


To be honest, everything that I came up with felt derivative and contrived. But alas, time was not a luxury a summer semester affords. So instead of waiting around for a "perfect" idea, I had to go with my gut and then just rumble forward hoping to figure out the details along the way.
Instead of looking at each and researching each of these subjects specifically, because some of them are kind of (maybe too) specific, I chose instead to look at some specific photographers and their treatment of subject matter and presentation. 


I found some interesting Soviet-Era photography by Margaret Bourke White. Her photographs were more of a documentary style, but the subject matter and approach is interesting and similar to something that I'd like to pursue.







I had to create a presentation on Karl Blossfeldt in undergrad, and I became an admirer of his approach to photography and his revolutionary style. I really am looking to take a similar style approach to whatever subject matter I choose.








I had bookmarked a photographer that goes by Stygian Echo on Flickr. This artist focuses on urban and industrial environments as well. These are one of the few artists I was drawn to who works predominantly in color. I couldn't dig up any more information about the artist, but I do enjoy the color and textures presented by them.

https://www.flickr.com/people/stygianecho/










Another artist that I targeted a long time ago is Andreas Gefeller. I discovered his "Japan" series years ago and was immediately drawn to it. It comes up often in my mind. This work is extremely minimalistic and linear. There is a sterility to the images. They are cold. I dig it.

https://www.andreasgefeller.com/gallery/the-japan-series/#/works






I'm looking to really visually investigate the surface of objects. I'm not concerned with whether the viewer can identify the object visually initially. I'm looking for the viewer to see before they begin to perceive. Before they begin to cloud the image with recollections or with taint the actual image with any preconceptions of the subject matter. I'm not wanting to create documentary or advertising photography.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fries.